Welcome to my Garriott website................ email@example.com
REFERENCES on this web page are in many forms. Early information is presented without specific reference. General references from a particular government agency are sent to a reference page. Specific references, such as marriage records from a courthouse, are listed on that specific page. Sometimes a single sentence has information from many sources.
COURTHOUSE RECORDS: show Book/Page numbers for courthouses I have been fortunate enough to visit. Military and pension records presented are abstracts of records from (hand-written, difficult to decipher) government sources. The (sometimes fanciful) words can be interpreted many different ways, dependent on the person collecting the information. I have tried not to correct spelling, even when I know better.
CEMETERIES: (reference 2) are presented on a single web page and their reference numbers are being deleted from the text as I wander among the pages.
GENEALOGISTS: Most of these records are built on the work of those genealogists listed in RED below, over the years. You will see their names throughout the text. Genealogy has been revolutionized in this computer age. I salute those who have slaved through limited information sources and provided their own family lines. It is obvious whose work is presented. I apologize if I have used your information and have not given credit.
1. DAR Patriot Index - Centennial Edition: (Revolutionary War) [BLANKENBAKER] ----Jacob: b --- d 1-2-1801 KY m (1) x (2) x (3) Hannah Weaver PS VA ----Nicholas: b 10-6-57 GR d 7-17-1849 KY m Fannie Wilhoyt Pvt VA PNSR ----Samuel: b 7-31-1754 VA d a 11-5-1827 KY m Amy Yager Sol VA ----Thomas: b c 1763 VA d 1835 KY m Jemima --- PS VA [GARRETT, GARATT, GARRIOTT] ----Ambrose, b c 1740 FR d a 7-24-1834 IN m (1) Mary Turpen (2) Elizabeth Blankenbaker Sol VA, page 1128 [SHIRLEY] ----James: b 1739 VA d 1815 KY m Judith Garriott Pvt CL VA [SHOTWELL] ----James: b 1762 VA d c 12-23-1841 VA m Mary (Polly) Crane Pvt VA PNSR [WILHOIT, WILHITE] ----Tobias: b 10-15-1750 VA d 2-7-1839 KY m Mary Shirley Pvt VA
2. CEMETERIES with GARRIOTT and associated family names
3. RICE, Christine Rogers, "Genesis in Virginia-- Exodus to Illinois," Vol. 1, 1995, Carbondale, IL 62901. 4. COBB, Georgia, "Register of Huguenot Ancestors," The National Huguenot Society, 1975, page 154. 5. WATERS, "Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Indiana," 1949, [with supplement 1954, page 39, 1970]; Genealogical Publishing Co, 1001 North Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21022, Phone: 410-837-8271
7. "History of Washington County, Indiana 1916-1976." Compiled under the auspices of the Washington County Historical Society, 307 E Market Street, Salem, IN 47167, Unigraphic, Evansville, IN, 1976, Phone: 812-883-6495: (Gibson Township, page 50; William Garriott family, page 278; Garriott family, page 392) 8. NSDAR: National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Memorial Continental Hall, 1776 D Street NW, Washington DC 20006-5392 (military records; state birth, death, marriage records; family lines) Phone: 202-628-1776, www.dar.org 9. NSSAR: National Society Sons of the American Revolution, 1000 South Fourth Street, Louisville, KY, 40203, [family lineage], Phone: 502-589-1776, www.sar.org 10. Publick Service Claims, Culpeper Co, VA, Court Booklet 1. Order Number 59-127, 8 Feb 1784, page 3. "Jacob Blankenbaker September 4, 1780 for 9 gallons of Brandy."
11. FITZPATRICK, Julia R, RR2, Box 152, Pekin, IN 47165 12. BURGE, Nancy Hudson
13. Missouri Republican, Tuesday, November 12, 1833, page 3/Col. 1. (Ambrose Jr Garriott), from the Missouri Historical Society, St Louis, 12, MO. 14. Clinton Co, IL Sesquicentennial History, 1984
15. CIVIL WAR soldiers/Garriott descendants: ----BRITTAIN, James Collin >Margaret"Peggy" >2ElijahL >1AmbroseSGarriott (died at Battle of Shiloh) ----GARRIOTT, Ambrose Newton >3AmbroseJr >2ElijahL >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company E, 34th Regiment IA Infantry Volunteers ----GARRIOTT, Jacob Jr. >2JacobSr. >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company K, 140th Regiment, IN Infantry Volunteers ----GARRIOTT, James Knox >3JamesMadison >2Jacob >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company L, 9th Regiment, IN Legion Volunteers ----GARRIOTT, John Milton >3Jacob >2ElijahL 1>AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company B, 18th Regiment, MO Infantry/Battle of Shiloh/Atlanta Campaign ----GARRIOTT, John Washington >3AmbroseJr >2ElijahL >1AmbroseSGarriott Corp, Company G, 18th Regiment, MO Infantry/Battle of Shiloh-- Captured at Pittsburg Landing, TN, paroled Montgomery, AL ----GARRIOTT, Joseph Andrew >3EvanMadison >2Loven >1AmbroseSGarriott 4th Sgt, Company G, 9th Regiment, KY Cavalry (Confederate)-- Captured in Trimble Co, KY, signed "Oath of Allegiance" and imprisoned in Louisville, KY, Mar 1864 ----GARRIOTT, Simeon >2Daniel >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company B, 54th Regiment KY, Infantry Volunteers ----GARRIOTT, Simeon >3JohnVaughn >2Simeon >1AmbroseSGarriott Sgt, Company F, 66th Regiment, IN Volunteer Infantry/Atlanta Campaign ----GARRIOTT, Simeon Finley >3WilliamDue >2Simeon >1AmbroseSGarriott> Pvt, Company F, 66th Regiment, IN Volunteer Infantry/Atlanta Campaign ----GARRIOTT, William D >3JamesMilton >2Simeon >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company F, 66th Regiment IN, Volunteer Infantry/Atlanta Campaign ----GARRIOTT, William Washington >3JamesMadison >2Jacob >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company L, 9th Regiment, IN Legion Volunteers ----GARRIOTT, William Woodford >2WilliamG >1AmbroseAGarriott ----McKNIGHT, James R. >3JaneAGarriott >2Jacob >1AmbroseAGarriott Pvt, Company B, 16th Regiment, IN Infantry Volunteers ----McKNIGHT, Elijah >3JaneAGarriott >2Jacob >1AmbroseAGarriott ----McKNIGHT, Jacob >JaneAGarriott >2Jacob >AmbroseAGarriott ----McKNIGHT, Robert Martin >3JaneAGarriott >2Jacob >1AmbroseAGarriott Pvt, Company B, 16th Regiment, IN Infantry Volunteers ----THOMPSON, Moses Benton >3AmandaGarriott >2William >1AmbroseSGarriott Pvt, Company H, 66th Regiment, IN Volunteer Infantry/Atlanta Campaign ----THOMPSON, William Hamilton >3AmandaGarriott >2William >1AmbroseSGarriott Corp, Company H, 66th Regiment, IN Volunteer Infantry/Atlanta Campaign-- Killed in action here, buried at Atlanta, GA ----TRUEBLOOD, Nathan
16. National Archives and Records Administration, Textual Reference Branch [NNR1], 7th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20408. [military, pension, bounty-land warrant applications, and census records] Phone: 202-501-5400 (for 20 application forms, call 202-501-5652) 17. University of Missouri, Western Historical Manuscript Collection-- Columbia, Collection No 2652, John W Garriott letters. (I have copies of these letters but haven't had time to decipher them) 18. "Blue Mountain Heritage," obituary [Hattie Mildred Garriott, Vol 4, No 2, Summer 1977] 19. Mercer Co, MO History Book 1845-1977 20. 1888 History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, MO 21. Keokuk County, Iowa, 1880 book
22. RAVENSCROFT, Ruth Thayer, "Ambrose Garriott and Some of His Descendents," 1952, Richmond, Virginia and Colorado Springs, El Paso Co, CO.
23. Department of Veteran's Affairs, Freedom of Information Act-- Room 124, 31 Hopkins Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21201 (pension records, 20th century) Phone: 800-872-1000 24. "History of Washington County, 1884," Goodspeed Brothers & Company, Chicago, IL; Stout's Print Shop, Paoli, IN, Reprinted 1965, (David S Hottell, page ___ ; Augustus S Garriott, page 916; Francis M Garriott, page 917; James E Morris, page 917; John W Royse, page 892) 25. Jackson Co, [IN] Pioneer Homestead Settlers, Landowners by Squatter Rights - Federal Grants, Private Purchase, a Heritage Publication of the Jackson County Historical Society 26. Hazzard's History of Henry Co, Indiana [1822-1906], Military Edition, Vol. 1 (Homer C Garriott, page 367, Harvey Brown Chew, page 365) 27. History of Jackson County, Indiana, Brant and Fuller, 1886. (Amos Hall, page 752; Albert Nelson, page 755) 28. "Journal & Courier," Lafayette, IN -- newspaper 29. History of Newton Co, IN, 1985, Taylor Publishing Company 30. "Indianapolis News," Indianapolis, IN,
31. WILSON, Brother Rene, Blue Cloud Abbey, PO Box 98, Marvin, SD 57251-0098, William & Mary Quarterly, Vol 26, Jul 1917-Apr 1918, page 246.
33. GARR, John Calhoun, "Descendants of John Gar and Andreas Garr," Cincinnati, OH, 1894 34. "History of Education in Trimble County (KY)", by Mrs Cobb 35. PERRIN, WH, "Kentucky-- A History of the State," Sixth Edition, FA Battey & Company, 1887 36. PERRIN, History of Kentucky, 6th Edition 37. Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, Public Records Division, PO Box 537, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, KY 40602-0537 [confederate military & pension records... and state, local, and judicial records] Phone: 502-564-8300x346
38. FALLONE, Margaret Pecar, firstname.lastname@example.org 39. HULL, Thomas Franklin, "Some Descendants of Ambrose Garriott", 1993, 114 Pathway Lane, West Lafayette, IN 47906-2156. (References also include papers dated 1989, 1984, 1981, and 1957) 40. TURNER, Leland A, Fresno, CA
41. WORLD WAR ONE Garriott descendants: ----GARRIOTT, Perry Elmer, 6AlbertMonroeGarriott, 5JamesMadisonGarriott >4JacobGarriott >3AmbroseSGarriott ----THOMPSON, Noble Hendrix, 6MosesBentonThompson >5AmandaGarriott > 4WilliamGGarriott >3AmbroseSGarriott
42. STEVENS, Warder W, "Centennial History of Washington County, Indiana," 1916, BF Bowen, Indianapolis, IN. Reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc, 4400 Jackson Avenue, Evansville, IN. 43. "Salem Democrat" Newspaper, Salem, Wash Co, IN
44. BOGARDUS, Carl R, Austin, IN, "The Scottsburg Lynching Case" 1949 manuscript, in the Scottsburg Public Library; reprinted in the Southern Indiana Genealogical Society magazine, Vol. XIII NR 1
45. BRECKENRIDGE, Juanita L and John P, El Paso County Heritage, Curtis Media Corporation, 1985 46. "The Republican Leader" Newspaper, Salem, Wash Co, IN
47. ZWEIG, Richard L, "As the Twig is Bent," Outdoor Indiana," Dec 1952, Indianapolis, IN, pg 11 (Hager Densford Garriott)
48. ROBBINS, Coy D, "Indiana Negro Registers, 1852-1865," 1994, Heritage Books, Inc, 1540 E Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie, MD 20716. The 1820 Washington Co, IN census lists William Rodman family as having one male 14-25 years old, and Nathan Trueblood as having one male 14-25 years old. The 1830 Washington Co, IN census lists Simeon Garriott as having "one male, 36-55 years old." On 25 May 1860 Harvey Weaver, 20, "a light complected negro man, five feet eight inches in height of somewhat slender built, kinky hair but inclining to strait, two small scars on the back of the left hand, one near the thumb & one near the wrist," born Nelson Co, KY, residence Washington Co, IN, witnessed by Zachariah S Garriott, Engr.
49. MEYER, Emma Voorhees, Georgetown, KY; "Adventures of a Red-Headed Rebel," News Democrat, Carrollton, KY, Bicentennial Issue, Jan 1974, Sec 4, page 2. (Peter Hamilton Vories) 50. The Virginia Genealogist, British Mercantile Claims 51. History of DeWitt Co, IL, Volume 2, 1910-- biography of Marion B Jenkins. 52. Madison Co, VA History ..... 53. Shakertown Society Records, Pleasant Hill Shaker Community, Shakertown, Mercer Co, KY
54. KEITH, Leslie Arthur, Northfield, MN, "The German Colony of 1717 (the second colony)," in the William & Mary Quarterly, Vol 26, Jul 1917-Apr 1918.
55. Kentucky Genealogy and Bigraphy, Volume VII 56. Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin & Kniffin, 6th Edition, 1887, Oldham Co, KY 57. William & Mary College Quarterly, Vol 14, 1905-06, Richmond, VA 58. Hancock County IN Democrat, 7 Aug 1877 (Nicholas Garriott obituary)
59. RIDLEN, Colleen, "Hancock County, Indiana, 1895, Histories and Genealogies," 2160 Mann Drive, Beech Grove, IN 46107 (William Lair Sr Garriott) 60. History of Henry Co, IN, 1884, Interstate Publishing Co, Chicago, IL-- reprinted 1966, Eastern Indiana Publishing Co, Knightstown, IN.
61. DOVE, Vee, "Madison County Homes," indexed by Sarah Frances Johnson, published by author 1975, Madison Co, VA, Kingsport Press, Kingsport, TN: [Old Hutcherson House, page 316; Shotwell Home at Shotwell Hollow, page 54; Simeon Bates Home, page 342; Maple Hill, page 30; Old Garriott House, page 296]
62. GARRETT, Steven and William, "Garrett Genealogy," Buckingham, VA 1970.